A Husband's Role

 

    I have been reminded over the course of the last couple of days how important my role as a husband is. It is important to me, it is important to God, and it is important to my wife. The job description as a husband is somewhat simple yet complex and difficult to carry out. I'm not here to make excuses for we husbands that fail in this role. We all fall short but need to improve as we move forward in our lives. I been reminded because people near to me are struggling in their marriages and these people have to make difficult decisions concerning their lives. Decisions that effect not only the couples, but the children God has entrusted to them, the extended families around them, their close friends and even casual friends. My heart aches for these people.

    I'm also aware of the fact that I fail in my own marriage and need to remember that part of this job description is to lead. I do fail because I'm not sure of where I'm going part of the time myself and there's pressure when leading someone else in that direction.

Ephesians 5:23 (ESV) For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior.

    This verse convicts me partially because of the responsibility involved. There is enough pressure to figure out how to lead myself, let alone another human being. How do I lead or more importantly, where do I lead? One important step in this is to understand what my wife needs from me. In figuring out what she needs I need to listen to her. I can listen and yet not hear. I need to listen intently without distractions. I need to let her finish a thought before interrupting her to tell her I know or to even ask a question when I don't understand her. Maybe if I let her finish her thought I will understand better. And “her thought” is not limited to a certain amount of time. I give her all the time she needs. (as I said earlier- I fail).

Ephesians 5:25-27 (ESV) Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish.


    The concept of the roles in marriage is difficult to understand and fulfill what I'm called to do as a husband. You may notice that I skipped over a verse and many of you probably know what this verse is. The reason I skipped it is because there's no action involved on my part. This verse was not directed to me- it's directed to my wife- but I need to know it's there to recognize when my wife is fulfilling her role in our marriage. Nothing more or nothing less. My goal is to be the husband that God's calls me to be- a combination of a leader and a servant.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Value of a Wife

Marital Conflict

Living with the End in Mind